Art & Design

Make up Artists • Hairdressers • Storyboard Artists • Key Scenics • Costume Designers • Illustrators • Art Directors • Property Masters


Safeguard your Art & Design Tools, People and Processes with Film Casualty

Art and Design teams can number up to hundreds of people, encompassing disciplines as varied as makeup and hairdressing, costumes, set and scenic building and design, all the way to illustration and art direction. For some productions the art & design is the absolute foundation for everything else. The entire story for Mad Max: Fury Road began as a single storyboard and evolved into thousands of individual pieces of storyboard art that mapped out the entire movie, shot by shot, before a single camera was turned on. Imagine using this process yourself and having someone throw a cigarette into the wastebasket before they leave for the night!

“One of my favorite things about working with Film Casualty is that I actually understand my policy.”


General Liability

Commercial General Liability insurance covers filmmaking premises and locations, within the United States and Canada, for bodily injury or property damage from events occurring during your production. This coverage also protects you from lawsuits if someone who is not a direct employee is injured during your production. General Liability policies also cover accidental property damage. Auto coverage may also be part of this policy, along with Unmanned Aircraft and Animal Mortality. The General Liability policy you get from Film Casualty has some of the broadest business insurance available anywhere.

Commercial Property

Commercial Property coverage insures against the following:

  • Damage to company equipment and property
  • Damage to others’ property when shooting on location, such as rented or borrowed studio space, personal computer resources, data storage, and more.
  • You can extend the Commercial Property component to employees’ personal professional equipment, including cameras, computers and media, while they are used in the job.
  • Coverage can extend to transport of production equipment and usage on the job location.

Your production remains responsible for care and upkeep of any leased, rented or borrowed properties for activities related to the production.

Hired/Borrowed Vehicles and Commercial Auto

Hired/Auto vehicle coverage covers your production for accidents, injuries and other incidents while using rented and borrowed vehicles. Coverage for Hired and Borrowed Vehicles includes Auto liability coverage for third parties, and also provides Comprehensive & Collision coverage that covers damage to those vehicles, subject to a deductible payment.

If your organization owns one or more vehicles, you may need a full Commercial Auto insurance policy, which provides third-party and comprehensive/collision coverage for vehicles owned by your company.

As an alternative, you can see to it that your full Auto coverage for Owned/Hired/Borrowed vehicles is controlled through your General Liability policy. The end result in all cases should be to provide all the coverage you need at the best possible price. Talk to your Film Casualty agent for details.

Inland Marine

Inland Marine is an important component of your policy that covers your owned, rented and hired equipment in transit. When you transport production assets over land (by road or rail), by water or by air, you need this coverage to prevent exposure to possible losses. Many inland marine policies provide coverage without regard to the location of the covered properties; these are often called "floater" policies, and may include water transport protection.

“Working with Film Casualty means not worrying about things going wrong on set.”


Worker's Comp

Worker’s Compensation coverage is a must-have for your production. Workers’ Comp covers medical expenses and lost income for employees who are injured on the job. It includes work-related illness, disability and death benefits for any cast, crew or employee. Other advantages include access to a preferred provider network, prescription drug features, needle injury coverage, nursing care managers to help coordinate care, and Pay-As-You-Go billing that bases premium payments on the actual payroll.

While employees may be covered through another company’s policy, we recommend that your department or production company carry a backup policy to ensure no one falls through the cracks. Like Jeff, the Loader Apprentice. We gotta look out for Jeff, you guys.

Errors and Omissions

E&O insurance protects against possible intellectual property rights violations, and against libel, slander and defamation of character risks. We all know this could never happen to you, but in the wild and wooly world of film making, a lot of crazy things can happen. Film Casualty has your back when bad things happen to good people.

“With Film Casualty, we pick out the coverage we need and get going on production. The guys take care of everything else”


Employment Practices Liability Insurance (EPLI)

This is where it gets real. Employment Practices Liability Insurance covers against claims made by employees alleging discrimination, wrongful termination, harassment and other employment-related issues, such as failure to promote. Disgruntled employees can lead to expensive consequences. You can take a few actions to avoid this:

  1. Be cool.
  2. Make sure everyone knows your company’s guidelines regarding promotion, termination, discrimination and other factors affecting employment, and be generous with information.
  3. Get signed agreements.
  4. Get EPLI.

With Film Casualty watching your back, you can turn all your attention to making your sound packages the strongest artistic expression for your projects.

The Art & Design department contains some of the most sensitive, complex and demanding features of many productions. Protect your talent and art enterprises with Film Casualty.

  • Animal Mortality
  • Railroad Liability
  • Weather
  • Watercraft Liability
  • Hired Aircraft

Let's Protect Your Film.